Kareem Queeman's Insight: 'It's Presence That's Power' - A Profound Perspective on the Significance of Representation

Kareem Queeman's journey in the culinary world began with baking, inspired by his grandmother. He later opened his own bakery and appeared on several network television competitions, both as a contestant and a judge, as well as on various daytime shows. In 2013, he established Mr. Bake Sweets, specializing in designer custom cakes and dessert spreads. The bakery initially operated online before expanding to a brick-and-mortar store in a Maryland food hall.

ILLUSTRATION: JIANAN LIU/HUFFPOST; PHOTO:RICK DAY;GETTY IMAGES

At 37 years old, Queeman considers this year a fresh start. In the previous year, he achieved recognition as a James Beard semifinalist in the Outstanding Pastry Chef or Baker Category, possibly becoming the first Black and gay man to receive this honor.

In a recent interview for Voices in Food, Queeman reflected on this new chapter. He has closed Mr. Bake Sweets (while still accepting specialty orders like wedding cakes and corporate events) to focus on his deeper passions beyond baking—representation, inspiration, and education. He ponders on the legacy he wishes to leave behind.

Growing up in public housing in Harlem, baking served as an escape for me, providing a way to tune out everything else. My grandmother created a safe space where I could truly be myself, allowing me to relax and explore.

My mother, a single Black woman raising two Black sons, didn't understand my passion for baking. She was focused on preparing us for a world that she knew could be unkind to people who looked like us. She also faced her own challenges with illness and addiction.

Reflecting on job searches, I sometimes wonder if my name played a role in not receiving callbacks.

In middle school, I discovered my love for baking through a home economics course, and in high school, I pursued it wholeheartedly. I decided to further my culinary skills by attending The Culinary Institute of New York at Monroe College in New York City. Simultaneously, I was navigating my identity as a Black man who identified as gay, striving to authentically represent myself. Despite societal messages telling me otherwise, I believed in my ability to do so.Top of Form

After completing my education, my aspiration was to create intricate wedding cakes. Despite my efforts, I struggled to secure a job, often pondering if my name played a role in the lack of callbacks. I relocated to Virginia to assist in the opening of a bakery, then transitioned to a position at Crumbs Bake Shop, where I steadily advanced within the company. However, I realized that the corporate environment was not where I belonged.

In 2013, I took a leap of faith and opened Mr. Bake Sweets, specializing in what I describe as "nostalgic classic American desserts," such as banana pudding and red velvet cake. My goal was to craft food that emanated love and evoked positive emotions. I also honored my heritage by transforming my aunt's sweet potato pie recipe into a sweet potato cake.

As my confidence in my abilities grew, I began pursuing opportunities in television. In 2016, I actively sought to appear on television and participated in several competitions. Initially hesitant about my career choice, my mother eventually became my biggest supporter. Sadly, she passed away in 2017, never witnessing my television appearances, but her spirit has always been with me.

As I progressed in my career, I came to a significant realization—there was a glaring absence of representation in food media for individuals like me—no Black men, no men of color, and no openly queer men. While we have prominent figures like Marcus Samuelson and Carla Hall, who represent Black chefs and female bakers/chefs, respectively, there was a lack of someone for boys like me to look up to and aspire to be like. I believe that representation is crucial because it shows people that there is a place for them in areas where they may not have traditionally felt included. Ultimately, people want to feel seen and valued.

With the rise of social media, we are witnessing more young adults coming out and expressing themselves in a gender-fluid manner. I want to convey to them that their presence is powerful, not just their culinary creations. I am currently in early discussions to collaborate with my alma mater, Monroe College, to establish a space that aims to revolutionize the industry. My goal is to blaze a trail for the Black, brown, and gay communities. When I interact with students, especially Black men, many of them express how hearing me speak provides them with a sense of safety. I aspire to instill themes of empowerment and resilience—I've learned from my career that fear and self-confidence can coexist.

Post a Comment

0 Comments